November 10, 2009

Lessons Learned in Retail Part 2.

It was a slow day at the store today and I got to talking to another vendor, a woman who sells handbags at a kiosk outside my store. I had spoken to this woman, let's call her Kathy, before but never much more than a polite, "Hello, how are you today?"
Kathy came into my store eating an ice cream sundae and complaining about how slow business was. "Yea, really slow," I said shuffling some papers and pretending to be too busy to talk. But Kathy was insistent on having a conversation, and she asked where I had worked before, then she told me she is a nurse. She works full-time in the Labor and Delivery wing of a hospital. She said it was always her dream to be a mid-wife, to help deliver babies, and she gets to live her dream every day. She only sells handbags to make a little extra money on the side.

She told be about delivering a nonliving fetus on her first day in the Labor wing, and how she waited 50 minutes to listen for a heartbeat before she had the nerve to pronounce it dead.

This conversation got me to thinking, what if I had met Kathy as a nurse? What if I knew her not as the sundae-eating, talkative handbag lady, but as a medical professional? What if I was someone else, and it was my wife's baby Kathy helped deliver? I would be surprised, then, to see her selling handbags at the mall. But until today, I would have been shocked to see her in scrubs at a hospital. What does she know about delivering babies? I would have thought, she sells handbags for a living.

And really, it is all just a big accident that I know Kathy as the handbag lady and that she knows me as the calendar-and-game-store guy. We have not always been the people we are today, and we will not be the same people when our respective stints in retail are through. But still, I will always think Kathy as the handbag lady, I can't help it.

We all are passengers on a great ride through time and space. We collide with other passengers on a daily basis--some we love, some we hate, most we forget. Some of us are lucky enough to find another passenger we'd like to spend the rest of the ride with, grab onto them, and find out they are interested in riding with us too. Some of us ride utterly alone. Most of us are simply left to deal with an unpredictable onslaught of fellow passengers who we must engage with to keep moving forward.


It is important to remember two things about other people.

First, other people are not pawns, tools or obstacles whose purpose is only to aid or impede our own success. People are people, real, full of feelings, bent as much on success and faced with as much adversity as we are.

Second, the juncture at which you meet another person in your life is a matter of utter chance. You can never assume or judge a thing about the person's life as a whole when you only know them in a certain, narrow moments of their existence. It was totally unfair for me to think of Kathy merely as the handbag lady. It is totally unfair to think of anyone as merely the person they are at the moment they collide with us. After all, if we really are just hurtling through life on a wild cosmic ride, isn't it all just one big roll of the dice? As Kurt Vonnegut writes, our lives happen as "the accident will."

To Kathy, I apologize for my own human folly in assuming her life was primarily about handbag retail. And to most others I have bumped elbows with in my life, I apologize for judging the importance of your own life solely by the bruises or kisses you have imparted on my own.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post - I especially love your last paragraph. The last line is stunning.

    ReplyDelete