April 17, 2010

Each species of bird has a wingspan developed for its unique method of flight. An eagle has a great wingspan to support hours of circling, hunting for prey, and to support the load of the fish or rabbit it brings back to the nest. An eagle is a powerful bird. A sparrow is a small bird with small wings made for quick cuts, dives, swoops, switchbacks, tight and precise aerial maneuvers. It can dodge predators and snatch a mosquito straight out of the air, but it tires easily. It's hard to say whether over the course of evolution the birds have adapted their habits to their bodies, or if the bodies have adapted to the habits of the bird. If a sparrow suddenly sprouted eagle's wings, would it clumsily try to catch mosquitos or start hunting its own kind?

First thing they do once you strip down to your underwear is cut your hair. "Bald, buzz or a little on top?" It's the only choice you'll make for the next two months. Maybe for the rest of your life. After they weigh you, they measure you. The doctor said I had an unusually long wingspan for my height. "Like an eagle," he said and stretched the measuring tape from my left heel to up under my nuts. "I guess those arms make up for your legs," he chuckled. "Go get your shots."

I heard him say the eagle line to the next three recruits behind me, and I guessed it was something some sergeant once gave him to help "ease the process."

That's what the recruiting officer kept talking about to me and mom, all these concessions the Army was making--changes to "ease the process" for the new generation. He said I was going to have a transformation, to go from one of the best and brightest of America's youth to one of the strongest, the smartest, the finest soldiers on the planet. But, he kept reassuring us, the Army was changing too. "Military service will transform you," he said, "but you kids are transforming the Army too." When he smiled, he showed his whole bottom row of teeth like a mad dog on a chain.

"That sounds nice," mom said. "Can I smoke in here?"

No comments:

Post a Comment