June 29, 2010

I'd Run With the Wolves

They say that youth is wasted
On me and on all of us.
I'm far too vain to notice.
I'm far too young to care.

I'd run with the wolves. If you'd let me
I'd run with the antelope too,
Just to feel the hot breath
Of my own self in pursuit.

I'd stand on the edge of a building
A knife stuck in my chest,
A crowd of humans behind me--
The way to Heaven at last!

Angels play their instruments gladly
In the sun that browns their skin.
Then they play their instruments sadly,
In memory of all their sin.

The road to hell is paved
With diamonds and gold and fur.
You walk it, your feet grow warmer.
I walk on it straight to her.

In the fading light of the bedroom,
A hand caresses my neck.
The touch feels so familiar, until
I awake in the dark and the sweat.

A wolf joins the pack as a killer,
Which is why I choose to stray.
I'd rather the blood in my mouth be my own,
I'd rather feel the heat than the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment