May 18, 2010

A Dream

I had a friend who kept a Dream Journal and I told her:

"Dreams are nothing but blood and dew on the grass. Everything makes sense in the dark, but in the sunlight we are all monsters."

She said dreams are "a manifestation of our subconscious." And I told her:

"If what I believe is reality only occurs when I am asleep, why should I ever wake up?"

She said, "No, dreams help interpret life." And I told her:

"Life is a series of chemical and biological coincidences. If I were a fish, I would not trust my subconscious because it would tell me to grab the worm on the hook. But since I am a man, and in my dreams my subconscious tells me I want to have sex with my high school algebra teacher in my dead grandmother's bed--you say there is meaning behind it that defeats the phallic fantasies?"

She said, "You are such a skeptic." And I told her:

"I simply accept that man is no greater than what he is. Man dreams as dog dreams as fish dreams. A dream is a dream is a dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment